Give Patients a Magical Experience Using Innovative Technology
Webinar with Dr. Larry Garber
Reliant Medical Group
September 6: 10:00 - 11:00 AM
Online only! Note the time!
From check-in to check-out, patients have fantasies of efficient service for every step of the visit. Learn how Reliant integrated novel technologies with the Epic EHR to streamline check-in, display wait-times, identify patients in waiting rooms using stealth photos, identify the exam room provider with an automated colored light system, display a provider-specific and patient-specific slideshow in the exam room, and expedite check-out.
Reliant Medical Group, a 500+ provider multispecialty group practice, found itself in the unenviable position of losing their buildings' leases 2019. Faced with building and renovating every office, Reliant took the opportunity to re-evaluate every aspect of patient care. Through a two year-long process involving almost every employee, Reliant developed consensus on new workflows, building designs, staffing, and technologies designed to give patients the best experience and quality of care.
- Dr. Larry Garber is an EpicCare Ambulatory Certified analyst, a Cache developer, a board-certified Clinical Informaticist, and Medical Director for Informatics at Reliant Medical Group for 19 years. He designed, developed and implemented most of the systems that will be presented.
Reliant piloted and refined the new system of care at 4 different locations over the course of 18 months. The result of this work will be presented, with a focus on new innovative technologies integrated with the Epic ambulatory EHR. Some of these include:
- Welcome Kiosks that automatically clean the screen at the end of check-in, via integration with Epic
- Digital signage at each check-in desk that integrates with Epic to denote staff name and wait time for patient
- Automated “stealth” photography of patients checking in, so the patient can be identified in the waiting room
- Exam room exterior colored light system automatically conveying to Epic the status of the room for efficiency
- Exam room screen saver that displays, while the patient is waiting for the provider, info relevant to the patient, allowing rooms to be shared by one of several providers.
The work that Reliant has done has had a laser focus on leveraging the power of Epic with integrated technologies in order to provider a magical experience, not only for our patients, but also for our physicians and staff.